Policies & Etiquette
As a student you become a part of a community of belly dancers. Our timeless art form is practiced by women and men of all ages. Sahara Dance seeks to be your home for Middle Eastern dance and we hope you'll join in the many community events we offer such as performances, costume trunk shows, student salons and live drumming jams.
At Sahara Dance, we want you to have a fun and fullfilling experience in our studios! We hope that these guidelines will help make your experience a positive one. Questions or suggestions are welcome anytime, just drop a note in the suggestion box by the door at the studio or send them through our contact form. Our goal is to provide a supportive and fun environment for you to cultivate the art of belly dance. We look forward to sharing the joy of dance with you!
- Class Cards & Enrollment ↑ Top
- Class cards are non-transferable and non-refundable. Class cards are not valid after their expiration date. Lost class cards can be replaced for $10. Returned checks incur a $25 processing fee.
- Class Cancellations ↑ Top
- Sahara Dance reserves the right to cancel any class due to low enrollment. Students enrolled will be given the option to transfer the class or receive a refund. Class cancellations due to inclimate weather or other events will
will be posted on the homepage. Cancelled classes will not be rescheduled; students may use their class cards to make up
cancelled classes as a "missed class" (see below Making up Missed Classes). Extra make-up classes may be offered.
- Making Up Missed Classes ↑ Top
- You may make up missed classes in any technique or combination class that is not full, at the same level or below, during the current session. Full/Closed classes are posted on the classes page and lists are available at the studio. There is no need to call, just let the person at the registration desk know that you are making up a class and present your class card to be punched.
- Missed classes must be made up during the current session and cannot be carried over. If classes are cancelled because of inclement weather you may make up the class as stated above.
- Substitute Teachers ↑ Top
- Sahara Dance reserves the right to have substitute teachers for classes. All efforts will be made to provide a Sahara Dance teacher.
- Liability ↑ Top
- Sahara Dance is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal property. Sahara Dance and its teachers are not liable for any injuries sustained during class or on the premises. Sahara Dance reserves the right to bar any person from studio premises based on disruptive behavior and/or management discretion.
- Dress Code ↑ Top
- Wear whatever makes you feel beautiful and enjoy celebrating your body! Comfortable dance clothing such as stretch pants and a close-fitting sports/tank tops or t-shirts are recommended for dance technique correction. If you wear clothing that is loose (such as sweat pants or long t-shirts), the teacher will not be able to see if you are executing the movements correctly. Fun Sahara Dancewear clothing is available for sale at the studio.
- A hip scarf is highly recommended to help see the movement as you develop those fabulous shimmies. Any shawl will do, though fancy hip scarves are available for sale at the studio. Please do not sit down in glass beaded hip scarves as the beads can easily break and end up cutting our feet. You can dance in bare feet, ballet or rubber-soled jazz shoes (no black-soled, street or hard-soled shoes please).
- Our nice wood dance floor will only stay so with your help! Please do not walk on the dance floor with shoes. Please leave shoes in the designated shoe cubbies in the reception area and keep all belongings in the dressing room.
- Please sign in and present your class card at the registration desk at the start of each class. No student will be permitted to take class without their class card. Replacement cards cost $10.
- Benches are for behinds only :-). Please store your bags on the shelves in the dressing room. Please do not bring valuables to the studio. Sahara Dance is not responsible for lost or stolen personal items.
- All classes begin with a warm up designed to stretch and strengthen core muscles used in belly dance; classes end with Moroccan mint tea and sesame treats. Please arrive to your classes promptly so you will not disrupt the class in session. For your own safety warm up if you will be late and please do not chew gum in class.
- Though parking is plentiful around the studio, cars have been broken into on streets next to the park. Please walk in pairs as you leave the studio and do not leave bags or valuables in your car.
- Visitors are not allowed in the studio while class is in session.
- Work at your own pace. Do not do any anything that causes you pain; if you find that you are in pain during or after class, please notify the teacher immediately. If you have any preexisting injuries or physical limitations, or if you are pregnant, consult with your doctor before taking classes.